White Elephant Bush Camp
Exclusive use, self catering.
Pongola Game Reserve, KwaZulu-Natal
White Elephant Bush Lodge
The White Elephant is situated at the foot of the majestic Lebombo Mountains next to the shimmering blue waters of Lake
Jozini in the Pongola Game Reserve, Northern Kwazulu Natal. The White Elephant is the most diverse and unique safari
destination in South Africa offering true water and land based safari options. The White Elephant consist of The White
Elephant Safari Lodge which is a 5 star tented camp as well as The Bush Camp which is an exclusive use, self catering
White Elephant Bush Camp at a Glance
- 7 thatched en-suite chalets - Max 16 guests
- Self cattering
- Sole use camp
- Tiger-fishing, fishing, boat cruises and spectacular sunset cruises.
- Black Rhino Range
- Elephant Research Project
White Elephant Bush Camp
This camp can be exclusively hired for a totally private bush experience, it has 7 thatched en-suite chalets, which can
accommodate up to a total of 16 guests. The chalets are generously spacious with quality linen and overhead fans. There is
an open plan kitchen, dining room, bar and swimming pool and an upstairs lounge with spectacular views. This camp is self
catering and all food and beverages should be brought with as there is no restaurant on the property.
Bush Camp offers the perfect set-up for groups of friends and families that want to spend time together in the bush in a
relaxed manner. Its is also ideal for your small series groups that are on a budget with a guide that can prepare meals.
Bush Camp rates include only accommodation. A guide is assigned to the camp with each booking to ensure activities can
The Bush Camp Chalet composition
Chalet 1-4: Twin beds with an en-suite shower.
Chalet 5, 6: Twin beds with an en-suite shower and bath.
Chalet 7: Is the family unit, en-suite shower: twin beds in the main room, with an adjoining twin room (2x single beds).
UmKhaya is a private self-contained thatched cottage, with 2 bedrooms(1 double and 1 twin), 2 bathrooms, open plan
kitchen & lounge, and large veranda. It is within short walking distance of White Elephant Bush Camp. The cottage can be
booked on its own or as part of Bush Camp if guest group is greater than 16.
The White Elephant offers fantastic water and land based experiences.
- Boat Cruise – On the 15 000 hectare Lake Jozini we do fishing, boat cruises and spectacular sunset cruises. One can
take a boat safari and see the animals on the shores of the lake as well as the hippos, crocodiles and an enormous
variety of bird species in the water.
- Canoeing - See the beautiful birdlife as well as the hippos and crocs from a canoe on Lake Jozini.
- Guided Bush Walks - Tailor made walks are very much part of the lodge's outdoor experience. It’s a great way to
see game on foot as well as for bird watching. On our Rhino Walks we track black rhino on foot and learn about
their social behaviours and feeding habits.
- Black Rhino Range Expansion Project –
A unique experience that provides an insight into the rhino's fascinating world and the WWF Black Rhino Range
Expansion Project. With the use of a Telemetry device, we will follow the rhino's signal, look for tracks and dung
middens and examine our camera 'trap' locations as part of our rhino monitoring and conservation project.
Included is also a visit to our Rhino room at our Research Centre.
- Elephant Research Project – The Elephant Research Project is a unique activity offered at White Elephant as an
alternative to Game drives, Walks, Boat cruises and Fishing. This activity is educational, interactive and visual, and
includes spending time with our research and conservation staff.
After an early breakfast, guests depart for a cruise on Lake Jozini to locate and watch the elephants from the boat.
After a few hours on the water, guests are returned to the Lodge for High Tea.
The activity continues after tea with a visit to our Research Centre, to watch the BBC production ”Operation
Elephant-The Mission” documenting the initial re-location of our elephants from the Kruger National Park. Guests
examine elephant skulls and bones and participate in discussions and debates. Spending time in the world of
elephants is enlightening and fascinating, and offers insight into the Reserve history, the re-wilding and re-stocking of
animals, nature and conservation issues, and the purpose of the Space for Elephants foundation and our other
- Safaris – One can also do Safari and see the animals from the luxuary of a vehicle. A sundowner drive offers
excellent scenery of Lake Jozini and the Lebombo Mountains and great sightings of animals roaming the shorline.
- Tiger Fishing - From the novice angler to the expert fly-fisherman, Lake Jozini offers the ideal location for that tigerfish
of a lifetime. The pristine wilderness setting compares favorably to the wilds of Lake Kariba in Zimbabwe. A boat can
be hired for either half day or full day fishing and includes a personal guide. We can also provide basic rods and
tackle and have a catch and release policy for our tigers. September through to May are the best Tigerfishing
White Elephant is located within the Pongola Game Reserve (South) along the shores of Lake Jozini (Pongolapoort
Dam), close to southern swaziland and the beaches of kwazulu natal.
- Johannesburg to The White Elephant is 485km
- Durban to The White Elephant is 330km
- The closest major center is Pongola, which is 45km north west on the N2 freeway.
Transfers - Road and Air:
- Please note the road to the lodge is a 12km gravel road and a bit rocky, but it is accessible with a normal sedan, all
road transfers are handled by accredited car hire companies and must be booked prior to arrival.
- SA Express operates daily scheduled flights from Johannesburg to Richards Bay Airport.
- SA Airlink operates 4x weekly scheduled flights from Johannesburg/Skukuza to Phinda. Phinda is 1 hour south of
White Elephant and a road transfer can be arranged from there.
- Private air charter from Johannesburg/Durban to Mkuze can be arranged.
- The lodge also has its own private landing strip for light aircrafts and a helipad
Pongola Game Reserve is a low risk malaria area and it is important to to malaria precautions when visiting the area. Malaria
medication is only neccesary should travels extend into Mozambique or extreme North Eastern South Africa.
What to Bring
Comfortable walking shoes
Hats, sunscreen and insect repellent
Cameras and Binoculars
Light, neutral colour clothing and swimming costume
Warm clothing is essential in winter (May to September)